Even though he is mainly involved in Tamil films, director A.R. Murugadoss has become an indelible part of Bollywood history as the man who delivered the first 100 crore-film Ghajini (2008). His last Hindi film Holiday- A soldier never sleeps (2014) with Akshay Kumar and Sonakshi Sinha was also a successful entertainer. So his latest film Akira with Sonakshi in the central lead is something to watch for. How is it?
What’s the plot?
A deaf-mute father (Atul Kulkarni) raises his daughter (Sonakshi Sinha) to be a fighter; encouraging her to learn martial arts and stand up against the bullies and eve-teasers. An unfortunate brush with law in her childhood then stigmatizes the girl. She leaves her town to come to a Mumbai college but even there she keeps facing bullying at every turn. All hell breaks loose when she is mistakenly rounded up by a bunch of corrupt policemen, who are desperate to cover up their illegal deed. Will she be able to fight against these evil cops?
· The first half manages to hold some interest.
· Murugadoss does manage to construct some effective action and suspense scenes.
· Sonakshi Sinha is convincing in her martial arts stunts. (The same cannot be said about her emoting, though!)
· Anurag Kashyap is good as the corrupt, drug addict cop who will go to any extent to cover his crimes, and so is Konkona Sen as the sincere police officer investigating the case.
· The plot is filled with poorly etched characters, needless subplots and implausible events.
· The ‘one-woman army’ central character fails to strike a chord.
· Murugadoss’s overall direction lacks finesse and at times seems amateurish.
· The film totally loses control in the second half and especially the climax leaves you utterly confused.
Akira is a mediocre action thriller, which is watchable in parts but which ultimately leaves you nonplussed with its loose, confused narrative.
In one of the end-sequences Sonakshi gesticulates to the deaf-mute children and says, “I was crucified!” Most of the audience is likely to leave the theatre with the same feeling!